FAQ - Text Messaging Alerts
This service allows the library to send messages to all text messaging enabled phones. In addition, patrons can send text messages, using pre-selected keywords, to the Shoutbomb service requesting additional information from the library
|SIGNUP||Registers for text messaging service.|
|TEST||Tests your connection to Shoutbomb service|
|RENEW||Toggles 2-day due date warnings on or off. (automatically turned on when you register)|
|HOLDS||Toggles hold notices on or off. (automatically turned on when you register).|
|FEES||Toggles notification of when fees have been added to your account on or off. (automatically turned on when you register).|
||Resends last message from Shoutbomb.|
|HL||Request a list of items currently on hold.|
|RA||Request to renew all eligible items|
|RL||Request a list of current items eligible for renewal|
|RI||Request a list of current items not eligible for renewal|
|RW||Request a list of reasons items not eligible for renewal|
Advanced Mobile Commands
|ISBN||Texting ISBN + a 10- or 13-digit ISBN number searches library catalog. Useful if you are in a bookstore and want to check library holdings.|
|ADDCARD||Request another library card be added to your existing user profile. No limit on the number of additional cards|
|DROPCARD||Request to delete an additional library card number.|
|ZIPCODE||Request to update users profile with zipcode of their home library|
|ADDEMAIL||Request to update users profile with an email address|
|DROPEMAIL||Request to update users profile by deleting existing email address|
|NOTICES||Request for current [on/off] status of RENEW, HOLDS and FEE notices|
|HELP||Request detailed description and how-to use each keyword|
|SWITCHPHONE||update user info based on new phone number or carrier|
In order to use a language other than English the appropriate keyword that corresponds to the English equivalent must be utilized. Below are the Spanish translations for each of the English keywords.
*note: in some cases the keywords are always in English
A text messaging capable phone is required
- Subscription to text messaging (Confirm with your cell phone service plan)
- Cell phone must be able to send a text message to an email address.
Send a text message with only the keyword TEST to PLS@shoutbomb.com. You should receive a short reply message “Test Successful”. This message indicates that your phone will work with the Shoutbomb service.
If you receive a reply, telling you that we could not understand your message this typically means you sent a keyword in the wrong format. For example, SIGNUP is correct while SIGN UP is not. Keywords must be one word only – no spaces or punctuation.
The Shoutbomb service processes all request within 60 seconds of receiving your message.
- We cannot guarantee timely delivery of your message to us. Your provider is responsible for delivering your message once you send it. Most providers deliver the messages promptly.
- We cannot guarantee timely delivery of our message to you. Your provider is responsible for delivering our message once we send it. Most providers deliver the messages promptly
- Wait and see if the reply arrives.
- If after 4 hours, you still have not received a reply, and then send the keyword RESEND to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can only use the RESEND command once per day. This limitation is in place to protect from spam messages. If you do not receive a reply after 3 attempts over three days, then send an email detailing your issue to PLS.email@example.com
By default each message type is turned on and eligible for delivery once you sign up. No further action is required;However, each message type delivered by the Shoutbomb service can be turned off any time after you sign up.
Each message type has its own keyword and sending a text message with only this keyword to firstname.lastname@example.org will turn each message type off. Sending the same keyword in text message again will turn it back on.
- Fees/Fines Notice, the keyword is FEES (automatically turned on when you register)
- Hold Notice, the keyword is HOLDS (automatically turned on when you register)
- Renewal, the keyword is RENEW (automatically turned on when you register)
The initial release of the software supports English and Spanish. Additional languages will be added depending on demand
Send a text message with only the keyword SIGNUP to email@example.com
- You will receive a reply asking you for your library card number. Reply with only the information requested. If library card number is mistyped or a zero was accidentally omitted, error message will be received asking for the number once again. Go back to your original message and make sure the library card number entered is accurate, make any necessary corrections and resend. If you resend the same number you will not receive a reply (see FAQ “What do I do if I don’t get a reply?” for an explanation)
- If the library card number is valid, you will receive a message asking for your PIN number.
- If the pin number is valid, you will receive a message thanking you for registering.
- (Optional). If registration is complete, you will receive a message asking for your email address.
- Please reply with an email address, this completes the signup process.
If items on hold that are available to be picked up; you will receive a notification via text message. You have the option to reply with the key phrase HL, which is an abbreviation of hold’s list. Once HL is texted, you will receive one or more messages that contain the title of the items on hold. In order to save on space, the length of the titles is limited to 25 characters. Allowing enough characters to identify the item while reducing the number of messages received.
If there are items to renew, you will receive a notification via text message. You have the option to reply with key phrase RL, which is an abbreviation of renewal list. You will receive one or more messages that contain the title of the overdue items. In order to save on space, the length of the titles is limited to 25 characters. Allowing enough characters to identify the item while reducing the number of messages received.
If you would like to discontinue our service all that is required is to send the word QUIT to firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive a reply asking for your barcode and pin number. If both are valid, the system will inform you that the account has been deleted and no future messages should be expected